All of New Zealand’s state and state-integrated schools have a board of trustees. The board of trustees is the Crown entity responsible for the governance, and the control of management of the school. Boards are responsible for setting the strategic direction in consultation with parents, staff and students, and ensuring that the school provides a safe environment and quality education for students.Standing for election for a board of trustees is a practical way of influencing the quality of your children’s education. A truly successful school is reliant on a dynamic board - one that can create the kind of supportive learning environment that drives education achievement. This year our Board of Trustee Election will be held on Friday 7 June. Interested persons are invited to contact the Returning Officer, Deirdre Bennett.
If you are interested in becoming a board member for the upcoming elections, please refer to the information below. We will be seeking nominations for five (5) board members.
Board Membership: Trustees are elected by the parent community and staff members although the board can also co-opt additional trustees for gender, skill or ethnic balance.
Our board of trustees’ membership includes: 5 parent elected representatives, the principal of the school, 4 proprietors repesentatives, one staff elected representative and one student elected representative.
Board Elections: Boards of trustees hold elections every three years and these will be held in June 2019.
What makes a good board trustee? We seek trustees who show the following qualities:
- Commitment to Liston College and our Special Character
- Able to communicate well
- Works very well with others
- A team player
- Has common sense and is able to make good judgements
- Able to put in some work between meetings
- Can see the big picture
- In addition, prospective trustees may bring specific skills e.g. in law, finance, property, HR, marketing
For more information:
Download 'Becoming a Trustee'
- Nominations will be sought by Deirdre Bennett (Returning Officer) from our community from Friday 10th May 2019.
- Nominations close at noon on the Friday 24th May 2019.
- If more than 5 candidates are nominated, voting papers will be sent to all parents/caregivers on the school roll soon after this date.
- Voting will close at Noon on Friday 7th June 2019.
- Results counted by Thursday 13th June 2019.
- The new board takes office on Friday 14th June 2019.